The latest Brussels Policy Briefing n. 53 on ”The next generation of farmers: successes and new opportunities” took place on 20th November 2018 (ACP Secretariat).
It discussed the policies and actions required to support the next generation of farmers to increase productivity, better access to remunerative markets and increased use of technology. It also shared lessons learned from successes in farming across ACP and EU regions.
NEW! on the subject of the next generation of farmers
- Geographical indication manual, Jamaica Intellectual Proprety Office, 2015
- Winston Stona ” Jamaica Jerk Branding – Concept Note ”
09h00-09h15 Introduction to the Briefing: Isolina Boto, Manager, CTA Brussels Office [video]
Introductory remarks: Viwanou Gnassounou, Assistant-Secretary-General, ACP Secretariat [video] ; Leonard Mizzi, Head of Unit Rural Development, Food Security, Nutrition, Europeaid, European Commission [video] ; Michael Hailu, Director, CTA [video]
09h15-11h00 Panel 1: What is required to support the next generation of farmers?
This panel will provide an overview of what policies and actions are required to support the next generation of farmers to increase productivity, better access to remunerative markets and increased use of technology.
- Key challenges and opportunities for the next generation of farmers
Débísí Àràbà, Director, Africa Region, International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) [presentation|video]
- Successes of the CAP and lessons learned for the ACP
Iman Boot, Senior Expert, Directorate for Agriculture, European Commission [presentation|video]
- Africa’s development trajectory in the evolving global context
Thang Nguyen-Quoc, Policy Analyst, Africa Unit, OECD Development Centre [presentation|video]
- Connecting farmers to markets in Africa
Jannes Maes, President of the European Council of Young Farmers (CEJA) [presentation|video]
- Update and way forward on AGRI/DEVCO Taskforce for Rural Africa
Tom Arnold, Chairman, TFRA [video]
Panel 1: Questions and Answers [video]
11h00-11h15 Coffee Break
11h15-13h00 Panel 2: Lessons learned from successes in farming across ACP and EU regions
This panel will discuss some best practices across the EU and the ACP in specific markets and the use of technologies.
- Best practices and successes of women farmers in Europe
Lotta Folkesson, Chair, Women Committee, COPA [presentation|video]
- Connecting production to growing markets in value added agri-food chains
Akin Sawyerr, Co-founder of Agricultural Fresh Produce Growers and Exporters Association of Nigeria (AFGEAN) [presentation|video]
- Promoting quality schemes: the case of Jamaica Jerk GI
Winston Stona, Associated Manufacturers Limited, Jamaica [presentation|video]
- New opportunities for innovative agribusiness in branded food products
Jennifer Bash, Founder & CEO, Alaska, Tanzania [presentation|video]
Panel 2: Questions and Answers [video]
Closing remarks [video]
13h00 Light Lunch