On 27th September, 2012, the CTA organised its 29th Briefing “Climate change, agriculture and food security: proven approaches and new investments“, in collaboration with the CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS).
- Policy Brief: Promoting climate-smart agriculture in ACP countries
On this page, you can find the video documentation of all the speeches that were given at the conference. Simply click here to watch the videos. You can also download the PowerPoint Presentations of the speakers from this page.
- Antonio Recca, European Commission;
- Tony Simmons, Director General of the World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF);
- Isolina Boto, Head, CTA Brussels Office
Panel 1: Agriculture, food security and climate change: What’s new?
This panel presents the key concepts, challenges and opportunities for agriculture and food security in relation to climate change. It gives an overview of the international negotiations on climate change and how they feature agriculture, especially in the context of ACP countries, and the farmers’ perspective on how progress can best be achieved. It includes an overview of climate finance for agriculture that is relevant to ACP countries.
Chair: H.E. Fatumanava III Dr. Pa’olelei Luteru, Ambassador of Samoa
- Smallholder agriculture under climate change: challenges and outlook [Presentation]
Sonja Vermeulen, Head of Research, CGIAR
Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS)
- The status of agriculture in negotiations on climate change: update and outlook [Presentation]
Anette Friis, Manager, Climate Change Policy, Danish Agriculture & Food Council, Member of World Farmer’s Organisation
- Planning for climate-smart landscapes [Presentation] [Summary]
Tony Simons, Director General of the World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF)
- View from ACP farmers: successes to date and needs for the future [Presentation]
Ishmael Sunga, CEO, The Southern African Confederation of Agricultural Unions (SACAU)
- Leveraging finance for climate-smart agriculture: overview of funding mechanisms relevant to ACP countries [Presentation][Summary]
Charlotte Streck, Director of Climate Focus and former Senior Counsel with the World Bank, USA
Panel 2: Opportunities and innovations to bring climate-smart agriculture to scale
This panel presents a set of proven innovations to deliver climate-smart agriculture. It presents climate-smart interventions that work – socially, economically and environmentally – and could be scaled up in ACP agricultural and food systems.
- Scaling-up the implementation of climate-smart agriculture: innovations and successes [Presentation]
Arslan, Aslihan, Natural Resource Economist , the Agricultural Development Division FAO
- Small sized holdings and low value crops: the case of index-based insurance [Presentation]
Kolli N. Rao, Chief Risk Officer, Agricultural Insurance Company of India
- Integrated national and regional approaches to climate-smart agriculture in the Caribbean [Presentation] [Summary]
Carlos Fuller, Expert, Caribbean Community Climate Change Centre (CCCCC)
- Successes in climate adaptation and mitigation in the Pacific region [Presentation] [Summary]
Taito Nakalevu, Project Manager, Pacific Adaptation to Climate Change (PACC), SPREP
- How farmers are linking food security, adaptation and mitigation in East Africa [Presentation] [Summary]
Moses Tenywa, Director of Makerere University Agricultural Research Institute, Uganda